SaaS Revenue Forecasting Tool - Excel
Four-year financial model template for Excel or Google Sheets for SaaS or subscription business for consumer, SMB, midmarket, or Enterprise SaaS-style revenue models. The model uses inputs such as future growth rate, churn rates, average revenues, CAC, contract and billing cycles, and builds out a full set of SaaS metrics, including revenues and deferred revenue recognition, MRR and LTV. Used by pre-seed and Seed stage companies.Download Template
- The free SaaS Model is the simplest structure of the models for forecasting SaaS businesses.
- Built to help entrepreneurs understand the mechanics behind forecasting a SaaS business, and to be able to compare how the different types of SaaS businesses work, in a package that is easy to use, easy to edit, and easy to understand.
- Creates a forecast of acquisitions, retentions, bookings, billings, revenues, acquisition costs, cost of goods sold, CAC and LTV, and is easy to use for Consumer, SMB, Mid Market, and Enterprise SaaS businesses or any recurring subscription revenue models.
What is SaaS Revenue Forecasting?
Revenue forecasting is the process of estimating future sales revenue for a company. This is typically done by analyzing past sales data and trends, as well as any known changes in the market or industry that could impact future sales. Forecasting can be done for a single product or service or an entire company's sales portfolio.
Why is Revenue Forecasting Important?
Revenue forecasting is an essential tool for businesses of all sizes. It can help companies plan for future growth, make pricing and product decisions, and allocate resources appropriately. For SaaS (software as a service) businesses, in particular, forecasting can be critical to success.
SaaS businesses are characterized by recurring revenue streams from subscription-based models. This type of business model requires careful planning and management to succeed. Proper forecasting of future sales is essential to ensuring a SaaS business has the resources it needs to continue growing.
What Are the Revenue Forecasting Methods?
There are a number of different revenue forecasting methods. The most important part is to use the proper method (or combination of methods) for your specific business and data set. Some common methods include trend analysis, regression analysis, and market-based forecasts.
No matter what method(s) you use, there are some key things to keep in mind when forecasting SaaS revenue.
- First, it's crucial to have accurate data. This means having complete and up-to-date information on past sales and any changes in the market or industry that could impact future sales.
- Second, it's important to be realistic in your assumptions and estimates. Overly optimistic forecasts can lead to unrealistic expectations and disappointed customers.
- Finally, it's essential to regularly review and update your forecast as new information becomes available. This will help ensure that your forecast remains accurate and relevant.
What is a SaaS Revenue Forecasting Template?
A SaaS forecasting template is a tool that can be used to estimate future sales revenue for a SaaS company. Businesses of all sizes typically use this type of template.
A SaaS forecasting template typically includes a number of different spreadsheet tabs, each designed for a specific purpose. The first tab is usually an overview page, which provides an overview of the forecast process and assumptions. The second tab is typically the data entry page, where users input their past sales data and any known changes in the market or industry that could impact future sales. The third tab is typically the results page, displaying the forecasted sales numbers.
Forecasting is an essential tool for any business, but it's especially important for SaaS businesses. Using the suitable method (or combination of methods) with the right template and keeping some key things in mind, you can create an accurate and valuable forecast that will help your business planning and decision-making.
How to Automate Your FP&A on Top of Google Sheets?
Layer is an add-on that equips finance teams with the tools to increase efficiency and data quality in their FP&A processes on top of Google Sheets. Share parts of your Google Sheets, monitor, review and approve changes, and sync data from different sources – all within seconds. See how it works.
Using Layer, you can:
- Share & Collaborate: Automate your data collection and validation through user controls.
- Automate & Schedule: Schedule recurring data collection and distribution tasks.
- Integrate & Sync: Connect to your tech stack and sync all your data in one place.
- Visualize & Report: Generate and share reports with real-time data and actionable decisions.
Limited Time Offer: Install the Layer Google Sheets Add-On today and Get Free Access to all the paid features, so you can start managing, automating, and scaling your FP&A processes on top of Google Sheets!
Share parts of your Google Sheets, monitor, review and approve changes, and sync data from different sources – all within seconds.GET STARTED FOR FREE
How to use the template?
- 1. Each sheet is independent of each others, and all can be safely deleted to only keep the sheets you want to use.
- 2. Any number in blue with a grey shaded background is an input (i.e. an assumption or data point that can be changed) and anything in black is the result of a formula. Change blue at will and change anything in black with caution.
- 3. All cells and formulas are unlocked - as in all Foresight models - so that you can make edits as needed and completely understand what is going on.
- 4. All assumptions are illustrative only, do not assume they are market data or standard.
- 5. As with all templates, feel free to create your own model from scratch, using this as a guide.
- 6. The model is constructed to fit a wide variety of businesses, and therefore, some sections may or may not be relevant to yours. Sections on all sheets are grouped together so that you can review different sections and see all the possibilities, but also easily hide the sections not relevant for you. Simply click on the "+" button on the left-hand side to unhide a section, and click on the "-" button to hide it.
Visit Foresight to get more instructions and videos on how to use the model.
Yes! This is absolutely free for you to download and use.
We will always keep your personal information safe.